by Andrea Boeshaar
“I lost my job.”
These are four words no wife wants to hear. Even if she’s working, the loss of a paycheck evokes panic. The kids’ needs, the outstanding bills and house payment, the groceries…what are we going to do?
My husband and I occasionally face hard times, ever since he became disabled. But I’ve learned—and continue to learn—to trust God with our finances. Battling financial problems are often better solved on our knees than by squabbling or beating oneself up emotionally. Here are five ways to cope in prayer.
- Ask for provision. It’s not wrong to ask for help. (Matthew 7:11)
- Jesus Himself gives a model of prayer which involves asking for our “daily bread.” (Matthew 6:11)
- God gives us trials to bring us closer to Christ. (James 1:2-4; 1 Peter 1:16)
- Claim God’s promises of provision. (Philippians 4:19)
- When we are weak, we are made strong through Christ. (2 Corinthians 12:10)
There are many other biblical verses to claim. Use the Sword of the Spirit—our only weapon in spiritual warfare.
Remember also, if God provided for our eternal salvation, giving His only Son, He will certainly provide our daily needs. Trust Him.
We’d like to hear from you. Please share your comments below or like us on your Facebook page. Be sure to check back each month for more articles and products available at your local Christian bookstore.