Lord I Need You

9 comments Posted on September 13, 2013

Matt Maherby Matt Maher

C.S. Lewis talked about a type of love that you will never grow out of. It’s called “need love.”

It’s basically the love you have for God that comes out of your continual need for Him. This may be a little uncomfortable for most people to hear, because our culture teaches us to be self reliant, self sufficient, and self determining. But, the truth is –We need God. I have found so much reassurance and so much hope in knowing that every hour of every moment, when I need God, He is ready to meet my needs. He will never leave more or forsake me –That, is something worth singing about.

All People Said AmenLyrics:
Lord, I need You, oh, I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You

When you hear this song, my prayer is that you’re so hit between the eyes with your need for God and His love that you also go to Him with your joy. And in that place of joy you still say, “Lord, I need You”—not just in your brokenness and darkest times.

The devotional challenge in this song is to think about whether you believe every word when you sing along. Do you acknowledge that you need God every hour? Do you recognize that God wants us to lean into Him? Allow the Truth to sink into your hearts today.

• 09/13/2013
    Suellen Brewster said:

I am a new fan, since WYD and now have several CDs which I listen to A LOT. I keep hearing “Lord, I Need You” on the radio at just the right time. Heard it on the way to my early morning Adoration hour today–which I was able to have BY MYSELF-so I got to sing it to HIM! 🙂 Thank you for sharing your talents so generously. God bless you and your family.

• 09/13/2013
    Rafael Queiroz Amaral said:

The world youth day was wonderful and also this song that my courage to continue on the path of the Lord, when I went to Rio de Janeiro was deaminated in my faith more when this song was played too, Lord I need you. Matt Maher You are a man of God always continue on this path trodden by God, their music whenever I listen to feel the strong presence of God himself forced to be pro channel of grace for many people, the peace of Jesus and the love of Mary, is always this a great example of how our Catholic Pope Francisco asks us.

• 09/13/2013
    Daphne Litton said:

Matt, I have found a great phrase when I speak to friends who are not quite in the faith or need a booster shot: If you remember what President Kennedy said, “Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.” then you can switch the word country to God and you get this: Ask not what God can do for you, ask what you can do for God! So then, that is the key that opens that door for Jesus. Do for God, just do for God. Please feel free to use this phrase in any of your music that you see fit. Just enter some type of reference to D. Litton. Thanks.

• 09/13/2013
    Katherine Eckard said:

I love this sing so much. <3 thank you for writing this and sharing it on Facebook. 🙂 😀 Our God is so amazing 😀 <3 <3

• 09/13/2013
    Sandra Cornejo said:

Since my daughter went to WYD and she told me about the song (God I need You) I love it is like a prayer very deep and beautiful, thanks for that song.

• 09/13/2013
    Lizeth said:

Matt I was on my summer vacation an I was watching the WYD on Spanish television and when I listen to your son my hart beat and made me cry listen to this wonderful song. You interpretation that day touch me. Thanks for such a wonderful song. Since that day I’m start fallowing you and sharing this wonderful song. God bless and keep us listen you wonderful song. Thanks again for teaching me that we need God every instant of ou life.

• 09/14/2013
    Kristi Kain said:

Had the privledge to hear Matt say these amazing words of encouragement in concert thur night. We always need God!!!! Good times and bad!

• 09/15/2013
    Jeremy Carver said:

Thank you for this song, Matt. I am unable to be more hit between the eyes! I heard this song for the first time this past week while driving home. Immediately iTune-ing it, I prayed/sang it the rest of the way home. Laughing / crying / praying / singing / loosing my voice all the way home! One of the best moments in my relationship with our Father Son Spirit God. I need God… period. This song articulates that need simply, powerfully, beautifully. Singing / praying it before our congregation soon!

I thank our Lord for my need, His meeting my need, and… this song.
    What a blessing!