Sweet Sleep Is Within Your Grasp
by Linda Goldfarb
As a get-it-done, “Mobilizer” personality, my desire to experience sweet sleep left me restless and weary. With boxes needing to be checked off and tasks requiring a last minute once-over, I ran from sleep instead of seeking after it. Can you relate?
In my desire to be in control, a top characteristic of the Mobilizer, I was pushed to the end of myself. It was there I cried out, “Help me, Lord. Give me a hunger and thirst for You, that no one or nothing else can satisfy. Give me the rest I need without fear of failure.” And He did.
Here are a few things to consider about gaining sweet sleep.
- Thirty minutes of physical activity each day starts you down the path to sweet sleep. Whether you’re digging dirt in your garden, watering plants in your yard, taking your pup for a stroll, or walking to the corner and back, motion is like lotion to your ligaments and well-oiled ligaments result in a relaxed body.
- Increase your water intake. Dehydration causes many problems—sleeplessness is one.
- Dark cool bedrooms provide the perfect setting for sweet sleep.
- Because our minds need rest, move electronics 3 feet away from your head
- To start relaxing before you nod off for the night, finish work or stimulating activity 3 hours before bed.
- Limit caffeine and calories after 8pm.
If after all these proactive steps you are still restless, take this time to pray for a friend or two and ask the Lord for a word . . . He is always faithful to provide what we need.
“By wisdom the Lord laid the earth’s foundations, by understanding he set the heavens in place; by his knowledge the watery depths were divided, and the clouds let drop the dew. My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight, preserve sound judgment and discretion; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble. When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.” Proverbs 3:19-24, NIV
Linda Goldfarb is a wife, mother of four adult children, Maw-Maw to grandchildren of various personalities, award-winning author of the LINKED Quick Guide to Personalities series, international speaker, founder and instructor of Parenting Awesome Kids (PAK), board certified Advanced Life Coach, certified Advanced Personalities Trainer and Consultant, and wellness advocate. www.LivePowerfullyNow.org