Social Media—Not Always the Bad Guy

8 comments Posted on August 10, 2016

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAby Tanya Stowe

The perils of social media have been well documented. Protecting personal privacy is essential. Drexting—texting while driving—is dangerous and illegal. However, with good boundaries in place, I’ve found that social media has its benefits.

We are a large extended family. There’s rarely time for quiet, serious discussions. Surprisingly, texting has stepped into that void. A family member posts something for us to discuss. We’ve covered politics, favorite scriptures, child-rearing, cooking and yes, even the dangers of social media. Of course, we have to remind those at work to turn off their phones until break time. Often a member has turned on his phone to discover 75 or more texts waiting for him. As our children have grown, we’ve added them to these adult conversations. Our “text talks” have helped us all to grow and define who we are as individuals and as a family.

Santa Fe SunriseWe have strict boundaries about video games and apps. But recently, my daughter allowed her junior-high-aged son to join an online game with his uncles. Time spent with them planning strategies and bargaining for tools has strengthened his bond with his uncles. Most recently, when he had his phone taken away at school for playing during class time, he received a severe dressing down from his uncles . . . not only for improper phone usage but also because his absence caused their team to lose.

Yes, we’ve discovered that with proper limits and boundaries, social media can be the good guy.

Tanya Stowe, author of Christian fiction with an unexpected edge. From the Old West to contemporary adventures in foreign lands, be prepared for the extraordinary. WebsiteFacebookBlog

• 08/11/2016
    Kathleen Friesen said:

Good points, Tanya. Texting is difficult for me, but I can see where it could make communicating with far-away family easier. Thanks for sharing.

• 08/11/2016
    Pamela S Thibodeaux said:

Great post, Tanya!
    Good luck and God’s blessings.
    PamT

• 08/11/2016
    Delia Latham said:

Wonderful article, Tanya! Social media, like anything else, has its pros and cons. Staying in touch with loved ones is one of the better purposes it serves. Because I live several states away from my family, I love having Facebook to keep me up on what’s happening in their lives. I love that your grandson is able to form a bond with his uncles via social media! 🙂

• 08/11/2016
    LoRee Peery said:

Well said, Tanya. Pros and cons (I looked up and read Delia said that), just like most things in life. One of my young grandsons pinned all my books on Pinterest before I joined up. Have a blessed rest of the day.

• 08/11/2016
    Wendy Davy said:

Hey Tanya, it’s nice to read about your perspective on social media. Thanks for sharing!

• 08/12/2016
    Tanya Stowe said:

Thanks all. Social media really can be useful!

• 08/12/2016
    Tanya Hanson said:

Great hints, Tanya! We have two grandsons who love to snapchat and check out YouTube videos but yes, we and their folks limit screen time. For me…I admit a slight addiction to Pinterest–I think because I am a very visual person. Sorry to be late to the party…waiting on our first granddaughter to be born and tending her four year old brother. Exciting and nerve wracking both. Hugs!

• 08/12/2016
    Mary Manners said:

Great article, Tanya. Awesome and timely information. Thanks you for sharing!