The Spirit’s Fruit of Joy

13 comments Posted on February 28, 2017

Linda Yezakby Linda W. Yezak

My 85-year-old mama took a minute to shove herself up from her chair and waddle the few steps to her super-sized television. With her fingers gripping the lip of the TV cabinet, she balanced herself while she peered at the figure on the screen. Her nose was inches away. She tilted her head this way, then that, until finally she could name the character.

Mom, whose macular degeneration has rendered her legally blind, always tries to connect the voice she hears with the image she can make out on the screen. That day, I asked her what she could see of the blonde, and she said, “Not much. If she ever takes off that bright lipstick, I won’t be able to see her at all.”

She often gets frustrated. Her hand remembers how to write, but her eyes can’t see what she’s written. Wouldn’t be a problem if she could remember things, but she can’t, so she writes notes and hopes I can decipher them. I usually can.

Bucket List DareBut more often than the frustration, she gets tickled at the tricks her eyes play on her. We watched a football game together once. All she could see of our favorite team were their shoes. Of the other team, only their shirts. When the shoes tackled the shirts, she cheered.

Long ago, God gave her a joyful heart, and she always used it to bring joy to others. Now, despite her multitude of ailments, she’s still a pleasure to be around. She’s a blind, waddling example of the Spirit’s fruit of joy. I hope I’ve learned from her.

Twenty-five years ago, after a decade of life as a “single-again,” author Linda W. Yezak rediscovered God’s love and forgiveness when He allowed her a second chance at marital happiness. She is now living her greatest romance with her husband in a forest in East Texas. After such an amazing blessing, she chooses to trumpet God’s gift of second chances in the books she writes. Linda’s novels are heart-warming hallmarks of love, forgiveness, and new beginnings. To learn more visit: Facebook Fan Page, Pinterest, Blog or Newsletter

• 02/28/2017
    Cecilia Marie Pulliam said:

What a sweet lady! Bless your Mom for her sweetness and courage. Bless you for sharing her with us.

• 02/28/2017
    Pegg Thomas said:

Your mom is such a class act. And so is her daughter. 🙂

• 02/28/2017
    Linda Yezak said:

Pegg and Cecilia—thank you so much. I know she’d love both of you! Well, I already know that Pegg’s her favorite. 😉

• 02/28/2017
    June Chapko said:

Thank you, Linda, for sharing (with your brand of humor), this wonderfully written tribute about your mother. I can certainly see her in you. I love your books because they bring out the very qualities your mother and you live daily.

• 02/28/2017
    Elizabeth Baker said:

I’m a little bummed, cuz I, too, have been diagnosed with the early stages of MD & it’s sad to think that limited or no vision is what I have in my future. Suddenly the daily duties & pleasures will become more difficult. It sounds like your Mom’s positive attitude & Joy in Life have kept her going despite her handicap. It’s wonderful that she has you to help her & that you have her love & example.

• 02/28/2017
    Linda Yezak said:

June, I’m so honored that you see her in me, and both of us in my books! What a sweet thing to say!

Elizabeth, how sad! You’re too young to go through that. Be sure to stay on top of it and do everything they say.

• 02/28/2017
    Ane Mulligan said:

I pray I always have the spirit of Joy, like your mama. When my daddy was first diagnosed with macular degeneration, he started to eat massive amounts of spinach every day. He revered it and now I see where the medical association has come out with a study showing spinach helps it. I don’t know that it would help your mama, but if people can do that when they’re first diagnosed, it can help.

• 02/28/2017
    Linda Yezak said:

Ane, sorry for your father, and so glad the spinach helped. Mom eats a lot of it too. Be sure to have your own eyes tested. They say it can run in the family.

• 02/28/2017
    Joy DeKok said:

Love this story – especially the football part. I don’t watch the game, but how cool she found the good in the not so good! And I think you are already like her.

• 02/28/2017
    Linda Yezak said:

Thank you, Joy!

• 02/28/2017
    Yvonne Anderson said:

This is sweet, Linda. It’s encouraging to see the positive perspective when people go through difficult times. You’re blessed to have such a mama, and you are a blessing to her!

• 03/01/2017
    Linda Yezak said:

She sets a great example of how to go through hard times, that’s for sure. Thanks, Yvonne!

• 03/01/2018
    Betty Owens said:

That joyful heart will “see” her through. What a wonderful lesson for all of us. Even when we have every reason to quit and be depressed, we have access to a never-ending supply of joy. I’m so happy to meet your mom.