The Story Behind the Story in Tina Radcliffe’s novel Rocky Mountain Cowboy

7 comments Posted on December 26, 2016

12-26-mtl-intersection

• 12/26/2016
    Tina Radcliffe said:

Delighted and honored to be featured! Thanks to MTL magazine and the Munce group of retailers. Happy Holidays!

• 12/26/2016
    Vince Mooney said:

It seems like years ago, and it may have been, when Tina mentioned to me about her ideas for what became “Rocky Mountain Cowboy”. I love her “Paradise” location and feel the setting will support many stories. I understand now, after reading her post today, that Tina was very excited back then about all the information she was finding about the artificial arm.

I often point out that in Eastern philosophy there is a very famous saying: “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear”. Or as a fellow worked warned me about more than once, “When your wife starts pointing out all the cute babies in tv ads, look out, daddy!” My first thought about Tina’s new project was: “As much as you learn about this ‘arm’, remember you’re writing a love story. The story is not about the newest technology.”

Well, I’m now halfway though the “Rocky Mountain Cowboy” and it’s the author’s best book to date! At least I found it to be her best and most insightful writing. Let me tell you why:

Time and time again when reading this book I’d come to a point where the action or scene usually would end and yet there would be another sentence or two that served to enrich what come before it. The story narrative didn’t need these extra insights and the author had to be older and wiser to add this material — which for me enhanced the reading enjoyment. Lee Child does this same thing all the time which is one reason I love his “Jack Reacher” stories so much. Yes, “Rocky Mountain Cowboy” is a wonderful and heartwarming romance but it is also so much more. It’s truly worth making the time to read!

• 12/26/2016
    Vince Mooney said:

About the Marsha Hubler quote above, I’d like to add:

Some of my bookstore loving friends have called me about a new book they are very excited about,

“Footnotes from the World’s Greatest Bookstores: True Tales and Lost Moments from Book Buyers, Booksellers, and Book Lovers”

I’ve ordered the book on the blurb alone and I’m someone who has read “84, Charing Cross Road” at least five times! Of course, the first place I wanted to visit in Paris was the bookstore, “Shakespeare and Company”. And what attracted me to Tina Radcliffe from the start was the wonderful classic bookstore she featured in her first novel.

• 12/26/2016
    Tracey H said:

I loved Rocky Mountain Cowboy, so this backstory insight just adds another layer of delight to the already great story. Thanks Tina, and thanks to mtl for featuring this terrific author!

• 12/26/2016
    Christina Lorenzen said:

Wonderful post, Tina! So happy you shared this as I wasn’t aware of this website. I’m a subscriber as of today 🙂

• 12/26/2016
    Cynthia Herron said:

Tina, I love your creative process ~ Thank you for sharing the research that went into Rocky Mountain Cowboy. Attention to detail is always appreciated by readers, and readers know when details and facts seem “off.” Kudos to you for a job well done!

• 12/26/2016
    Laura Conner Kestner said:

Loved this behind-the-scenes look at the creation of Rocky Mountain Cowboy. Big fan of the book, and the author. Thank you!